Michael Leone on Wed, 17 Apr 2002 15:30:14 +0200

Re: [PLUG] Backup e-mail server

On 17 Apr 2002 at 2:35, Chuck Peters wrote:

> On Mon, 15 Apr 2002, Mike Pflugfelder wrote:
>
> > My company currently uses Exchange as our e-mail server, but we're
> > experiencing some problems right now that are causing us to not get
> > e-mail.
>
> Exchange is your first problem.  About a year and a half ago I setup
> some tests to test the reliabilty of some mail servers. These tests
> included all the company mail servers, Exchange, Lotus Notes and
> IPlanet/Netscapes Messaging server as well as some free services.  The
> tests showed the most reliable server was ccil.org running Debian and
> EXIM.  The worst was the companies own Exchange server.  So put
> another way the one of the most expensive products the company sold
> (Exchange $15 per user per month) was less reliable than the free
> service provided by ccil.org running free opensource software.

I think that some of that may be a specific site issue - I have
Exchange 5.5 here at work., and I have no such reliability problems.
Occasionally (read: twice last year), it crashed, but came right back
up after a reboot. And it may have been because I don't have enough
memory in the machine (192M; it *is* Exchange, after all ..), nor do
I reboot it all that often as a preventative measure (currently at 40
days; last crash was after 114 days uptime).

Don't forget, Exchange is *not* just email; it is full blown multi-
site groupware with optional web interface and NNTP support.

Which means more downtime, what with lots of patching. :-)

My home postfix server has been up for 180 days, but it only does
between 500-600 emails a day; that's nothing, compared to even a
smallish company's daily email traffic. I have no doubt that it could
scale up into the thousands per hour (according to the mailing list)
with the right hardware, tho. Doubt Exchange could do that that
easily. :-)

> Thats a matter of taste, I prefer Debian and EXIM.

I like Debian and postfix, myself.