gabriel rosenkoetter on Wed, 17 Apr 2002 15:21:30 -0400

Re: [PLUG] key-signing Thursday?

On Tue, Apr 16, 2002 at 11:52:35PM -0400, Michael Leone wrote:
> Well, anyone new and attending should be sending their keys to Darxus
> (who usually coordinates these things for PLUG) ahead of time, since a
> keysigning is (technically) only valid if all participants have a
> printed copy of everyone else's keys before they start verifying
> identities with photo IDs.
>
> Darxus, will you be there?

Well, Darxus doesn't absolutely need to be there provided that all
those who want to partake in the keysigning send their keys to a
keyserver today some time, retrieve everyone else's keys from that
keyserver, and print our own copies of the fingerprints (which,
really, everyone should do anyway... or, at least, compare the
fingerprints on Darxus's printouts with those on the keys you sign
at home) tomorrow.

In fact, as near as I can tell, the only new key that I can't get
from my usual keyserver (wwwkeys.pgp.net, round-robin DNS for
wwwkeys.TLD.pgp.net) is John Lavin's.

John, if you don't already have it set up (and presuming you're
using GnuPG), do this:

% cat >> ~/.gnupg/options
keyserver wwwkeys.pgp.net
^D
% gpg --send-keys <your key ID>

Yes, the keyserver is just as trustworthy as Darxus's PLUG keyring.
(You're still verifying that the fingerprint matches; if there had
been any corruption--evil or accidental--of the key, it wouldn't.)

--
gabriel rosenkoetter
gr@eclipsed.net