Paul . L . Snyder on Wed, 17 Apr 2002 15:21:07 -0400

Re: [PLUG] C++

On 17-Apr-2002, "Marc Soda" <marc@aspre.net> wrote:

> Can any one recommend a good book on C++.
>
> --
>
> Marc Soda
> ASPRE, Inc.
> marc@aspre.net
> http://www.aspre.net/

Bjarne Stroustop's _The C++ Programming Language_ is the definitive
tome on the topic.  Whether you enjoy learning from it depends a lot
on your personal style.

I rather like Bruce Eckel's _Thinking in C++_.  It's available for free
download from http://www.mindview.net/Books, actually, though you can
also purchase a woodpulp copy for convenience.  (I picked up a copy
from my local bookstore, as it is worth the money.  It does a very
good job of helping the reader build up an object-oriented mindset.

_TiC++_ does assume a basic level of familiarity with C.  If you
purchase a copy, it comes with a CD-ROM based tutorial for C
fundamentals.

Eckel's web site also has _Thinking in Java_, _Thinking in Patterns_,
and _Thinking in Python_ - all downloadable for free.  (I hadn't known
about the Python book until I checked the web site, just now.  The Java
book is also quite good.)  There are also solution guides for the C++
and Java books (not free - $12 download).

If you decide to pursue the Eckel (or another C++ book), I'd say it's
still helpful to have Stroustrop's book around.

HTH,
Paul Snyder