Fred K Ollinger on Wed, 17 Apr 2002 16:08:41 -0400

Re: [PLUG] X forwarding via ssh

> On Wed, Apr 17, 2002 at 03:15:38PM -0400, Jim Foster wrote:
> > Thanks Bill.  I'm still trying to understand this.  How would I fire up KDE
> > in this manner?
>
> I see.  I was referring to running just a single X application or two
> from the command line.  I don't know if just running startx would work
> or not.  I know there are ways of running an entire X session remotely
> or connecting to a remote XDM (or KDM, or GDM), but I'm not entirely
> sure how.  Tried Google or /usr/share/doc?  You could also look into
> VNC (first hit for a Google query of 'vnc'), as Eric suggested.

How about running startkde after you login from 'ssh -X?'. I know that if
you login w/ ssh -X and do 'kicker' you'll get the familiar kde taskbar.

You can login to a bunch of places and have taskbars all over the place,
when you launch an app from each bar, you are really launching that app
remotely!

OK, sorry, a bit too much silliness.

Fred