gabriel rosenkoetter on Wed, 17 Apr 2002 16:53:51 -0400

Re: [PLUG] X forwarding via ssh

On Wed, Apr 17, 2002 at 04:08:22PM -0400, Fred K Ollinger wrote:
> How about running startkde after you login from 'ssh -X?'. I know that if
> you login w/ ssh -X and do 'kicker' you'll get the familiar kde taskbar.

This will most probably not work. You've already got a window
manager running locally if X forwarding is to work at all, which
means you can't start another one. (Your X server will simply kill
the new window manager.)

There are two exceptions I can think of: if you actually have *no*
window manager running locally (possible; don't put one in your
.xsession/.xinitrc), or if your X server controls more than one
display some of which lack window managers (and you set $DISPLAY
appropriately locally before the ssh -X), then it should work.

But it's almost definitely a bad idea... considering how integral a
window manager is to the X user experience, you really don't want to
be forwarding this over the network. (Have you ever used a real
xterm--not the program, the piece of hardware? They feel pig slow
for a good reason.)

> You can login to a bunch of places and have taskbars all over the place,
> when you launch an app from each bar, you are really launching that app
> remotely!

That, however, will work just fine all the time. (That is, you
could run, say, twm locally because you're low on RAM, but have
your KDE taskbar forwarded if you really must have it.)

--
gabriel rosenkoetter
gr@eclipsed.net