kevin mudrick on Wed, 17 Apr 2002 22:50:14 +0200

Re: [PLUG] gpg/mailing list?

> You might look to see if the moot folks have anything like this
> planned. (See http://www.m-o-o-t.org/.) moot's far from ready for
> prime time, but it seems like the kind of thing they'd like to have.

hmm. perusing the site, their ideas look interesting, but i can't really
find any indication as to how far along they are.. guess i'd have to join
the mailing list.

> I've thought something exactly this would be a really good idea
> for a while too, so if you're interested, I'd be glad to collaborate
> on setting something like this up.

Since I've yet to find anything thus far, I'm thinking I might be
interested in trying to set something up too.. I'll email you offlist.

> One concern is that, as the list of subscribers grows, sending one
> email through the list linearly more computationally intensive on
> the server side. Conventional single-processor servers would
> probably relay mail at a noticeably decreased rate with only about
> 25 subscribers. (Maybe one decides that this doesn't matter, but it
> does mean that a given subscriber would receive a given post
> significantly before another.)

Hmm.  Wouldn't it be possible to encrypt all the mails to the list
recipients, one at a time, add them to a queue, and then send them out?

> On the "uses" topic, I could see this kind of mailing list being
> really handy for automated notifications sent by monitoring software
> on a remotely hosted machine. (I'd rather not expose, say, email
> from my IDS. :^>) Arguably, this is something that could be as
> easily accomplished through SMTP-over-SSL or by connecting the
> relevant hosts via VPN... but that requires a little more setup on
> the recipient's end, is totally impossible with certain MTAs, and
> is less general (it'd be a hassle to add a new maintainer who
> received mail through another mail exchanger).

using smtp-over-ssl.. wouldn't that require every user's particular mail
server to support it?  i suppose theoretically, one could get around the
cleartext issue by giving all list members access to smtp-ssl and pop3-ssl
(or imap-ssl, i guess) on the machine hosting the list... messages would
never really leave the server.  i dunno.

-kevin

--
 (kevin mudrick)   (kevin@furhurts.com)   (www.bleachedwhale.com)
  pgp key available at http://www.furhurts.com/~darkspur/kevin_gpg.asc

 Despair: It's always darkest just before it goes pitch black.