gabriel rosenkoetter on Wed, 17 Apr 2002 20:50:24 +0200

Re: [PLUG] gpg/mailing list?

On Wed, Apr 17, 2002 at 12:02:29PM -0400, kevin mudrick wrote:
> i'd imagine one could hack up some sort of automated email responder that
> could track trusted users and do this sort of thing, but is there anything
> out there that exists for this type of functionality now?

You might look to see if the moot folks have anything like this
planned. (See http://www.m-o-o-t.org/.) moot's far from ready for
prime time, but it seems like the kind of thing they'd like to have.

I've thought something exactly this would be a really good idea
for a while too, so if you're interested, I'd be glad to collaborate
on setting something like this up.

One concern is that, as the list of subscribers grows, sending one
email through the list linearly more computationally intensive on
the server side. Conventional single-processor servers would
probably relay mail at a noticeably decreased rate with only about
25 subscribers. (Maybe one decides that this doesn't matter, but it
does mean that a given subscriber would receive a given post
significantly before another.)

On the "uses" topic, I could see this kind of mailing list being
really handy for automated notifications sent by monitoring software
on a remotely hosted machine. (I'd rather not expose, say, email
from my IDS. :^>) Arguably, this is something that could be as
easily accomplished through SMTP-over-SSL or by connecting the
relevant hosts via VPN... but that requires a little more setup on
the recipient's end, is totally impossible with certain MTAs, and
is less general (it'd be a hassle to add a new maintainer who
received mail through another mail exchanger).

--
gabriel rosenkoetter
gr@eclipsed.net