gabriel rosenkoetter on Wed, 17 Apr 2002 23:10:23 +0200

Re: [PLUG] gpg/mailing list?

On Wed, Apr 17, 2002 at 04:42:04PM -0400, kevin mudrick wrote:
[http://www.m-o-o-t.org/]
> hmm. perusing the site, their ideas look interesting, but i can't really
> find any indication as to how far along they are.. guess i'd have to join
> the mailing list.

Not far. There's a lot of low-level detail work (the "reboot when
the CD is ejected" idea is neat... but turns out to be a royal pain
to make work cross-platform... that is, the CD is supposed to work
on all popular processor architectures--meaning i386 and macppc
initially, probably, and getting events even in the kernel, much
less in userland, from the CD-ROM's eject button is differently
complicated in different places) that needs to be taken care of.
There are some chunks that are totally easy, just issues of
tailoring a NetBSD install to include the (usually optional)
software that's needed and to remove the (usually default) software
that's not, and that stuff's presumably done, as is the process for
creating a CD-ROM bootable on a variety of architectures. (The
NetBSD ISOs have been doing that for most supported architectures
for quite a while anyhow.)

> Since I've yet to find anything thus far, I'm thinking I might be
> interested in trying to set something up too.. I'll email you offlist.

Don't promise to have a whole lot of time before June or so, but
I'd be glad to try.

> Hmm.  Wouldn't it be possible to encrypt all the mails to the list
> recipients, one at a time, add them to a queue, and then send them out?

Sure, but then *everyone's* slow, and that's no fun. ;^>

> using smtp-over-ssl.. wouldn't that require every user's particular mail
> server to support it?

Sure, but I was suggesting that as a solution to my "secure server
notifications" problem (which I think an encrypted mailing list
software also solves well), not as a solution to the "we want an
encrypted mailing list" problem.

> i suppose theoretically, one could get around the
> cleartext issue by giving all list members access to smtp-ssl and pop3-ssl
> (or imap-ssl, i guess) on the machine hosting the list... messages would
> never really leave the server.  i dunno.

But this is probably unacceptable for a mailing list in the
traditional terms. (Puts not just mail delivery but also mail
*reading* load on the server, make subscription to the mailing list
a royal bitch both for the user and the administrator, since you
*really* don't want to automate SSL access-granting enough to take
the admin out of it.)

--
gabriel rosenkoetter
gr@eclipsed.net