gabriel rosenkoetter on Thu, 18 Apr 2002 15:16:12 -0400

Re: [PLUG] key-signing Thursday?

On Thu, Apr 18, 2002 at 02:56:23PM -0400, turgon@mike-leone.com wrote:
> Depends on what you define your purposes to be, don't you think? If you're
> transferring legal docs (for example), it might become an issue.

Sure, but if you're using PGP for the transfer of legal documents
(as, incidentally, many people/corporations, my employer included,
do), you typically exchange a PGP key for that express purpose with
the other person/corporation. You'd do that exchange in person, and
your trust would just be "when I deal with this person/corporation
virtually and things match up, I know it's the same p/c that I just
exchanged keys with".

> Actually, I agree with you. Just figured I'd try arguing from the other
> side, to see if I could come up with something I had not considered, or had
> not appropriately prioritized, before.

I'd figured there was some devil's advocacy going on. ;^>

> F'r instance, I trust that you are actually Gabe, based on meeting you;
> repeated interchanges here; etc. Hell, for all I know, you could be A.
> Hitler the 3rd. :-)

Well, as it turns out, I'm actually Alan G. Rosenkoetter (as you
probably noted on my driver's license). ;^>

--
gabriel rosenkoetter
gr@eclipsed.net