gabriel rosenkoetter on Thu, 18 Apr 2002 15:17:17 -0400

Re: [PLUG] OT- Networking Question

On Thu, Apr 18, 2002 at 02:08:30PM -0400, W. Chris Shank wrote:
> I just purchased a wireless enabled cable router, but i got it off the
> discount rack. it seems that the previous owner changed the default settings,
> disabling dhcp and changing the default IP address of the router. I say this
> because I cannot get an IP from it or connect to the web based console using
> the manufacturers default IP. Is it possible for me to scan my network to
> figure out what IP this is responding to? BTW: I tried the reset button, but
> it didn't help.

Plug the cable router and one other machine into a hub (make sure
it's a hub, not a switch) with nothing else attached, then ping
255.255.255.255 from the other machine.

--
gabriel rosenkoetter
gr@eclipsed.net