Michael F. Robbins on Sun, 21 Apr 2002 11:51:25 -0400

Re: [PLUG] Install Fest. June 2

On Sun, 2002-04-21 at 11:21, Art Alexion wrote:
> This is a fantastic idea, best directed to those who are curious about
> Linux but have been intimidated by all the "its hard to install"
> propaganda.

A recent conversation between me and a friend...

<me>: did you e-mail them?
<friend>: I can't because Windows won't let me open outlook express
<me sends him a link to a funny web page...>
<friend>: I have to restart my comp before I can and I want to finish
lit first
<friend>: I can't look at IE right now
<friend>: no system memory
<me>: hahaha i feel pretty bad for you right now
<me>: just tell me one thing
<me>: why do people put up with this?
<friend>: no readily available alternatives

But this friend isn't completely ignorant.  Thanks to me, out of three
computers in his house, two run only Linux.  (One firewall, one
dual-boot machine on which he hasn't gotten around to installing
Windows.)  His family is actually getting around pretty well on the
linux box...at least for simple web-browsing, etc.  And even though his
firewall is a p133, he claims its much faster than his old system (which
was SyGate).

> Will there be an age limit.  I work with some teenagers who may be
> interested.

AFAIK, There's no age limit on PLUG meetings.  I'm 16, and I've attended
a few meetings.  I brought some friends along once.  I think the real
problem might be with the liability and the huge amount of property that
you'll have in one place.  It's also a pain for me to move my
computer...but I'd be glad to come and help out some newbies.

I'd also like to say that I'm doing my part in trying to expose more
people to Linux on the desktop.  I just spent my morning helping an
adult friend (who has a huge amount of technology purchasing power in
his company) set up CUPS on his linux experimentation box so he could
print from OpenOffice, Evolution, and Mozilla.

I liked the idea about getting and giving away Linux books, however I
think it'd be too expensive.  Is there some good how-to for beginners
(maybe 10-20 pages long) that we could print out and distribute?  I
really think that having a hard-copy is important for new users.

Michael F. Robbins
mike@gamerack.com