John Karr on Sun, 21 Apr 2002 23:54:43 -0400

Re: [PLUG] Install Fest. June 2

The install-fest is expected to be free of charge, though I doubt there is any objection to voluntary donations to PLUG or for pizza.

The press release isn't written yet, but I'm planning a theme of KDE 3.0. It would be nice if that got into any announcements that need to be set before the press release is ready.

While there is no fee at the door, there is no reason not to recover costs on CDs. Since the theme is KDE 3.0, ideally we want distributions that include it or at least to have the update CDs. Yes getting stacks of CDs is important, but I don't think we're going to get the latest for free. I think we can probably get them cheaply through Linuxcentral, or if anyone can volunteer use of a bin loaded burner. We can certainly ask people to cover the cost of CDs if they don't bring their own. As for books no objection to people selling useful books to cover costs or to benefit PLUG or the FSF.

We'll probably be getting a room with ethernet jacks. I'm guessing we probably won't have analog lines or DSL to help people get DIAL and PPPOE connections up. The event is free, and the amateur is getting access to guys who normally charge a lot more than that for free.

Unless USIP requests otherwise, there will be no age limit, though 'children' should be accompanied by adults. Whether a 16 year old is a child largely depends on the 16 year old in question.

If the theme thing goes over well I was thinking of "That Other OS" for the next Install-Fest, and we'll need all the FreeBSD and NetBSD help we can get to pull that one off.