gabriel rosenkoetter on Mon, 22 Apr 2002 00:59:02 -0400

Re: [PLUG] Install Fest. June 2

On Sun, Apr 21, 2002 at 11:54:39PM -0400, John Karr wrote:
> If the theme thing goes over well I was thinking of "That Other OS" for the
> get to pull that one off.

At a glance, NetBSD only has KDE 2 these days, so maybe it's for the
best that I can't make it. (I had just skimmed your original post,
btw, sorry I didn't catch that. :^>)

As far as "that Other OS"... why be restrictive? I'm not going to be
out there proselytizing NetBSD any more than I ordinarily do...
certainly not more than I did at last week's meeting. (I'd like to
think I was pretty even-handed...)

Having a "here's what this distro is about" speech for each option
on hand at the beginning of this sort of thing (or, better, typed
up and availble for perusal throughout) seems really sensible for
something like this, and there's no reason to restrict oneself even
to Linux or BSDs. Someone may well want to get started on hacking
OS internals; for them, getting some help installing Minix (along
with source and some background explanation) would be really swell.
There are, I'm sure, other examples...

I mean, I would be glad to help with a BSD-only affair too, but it
seems silly to be xenophobic about it. :^>

--
gabriel rosenkoetter
gr@eclipsed.net