Michael F. Robbins on Mon, 22 Apr 2002 00:19:57 -0400

Re: [PLUG] Install Fest. June 2

On Sun, 2002-04-21 at 23:54, John Karr wrote:
> While there is no fee at the door, there is no reason not to recover costs
> on CDs.

For Debian (and I think also possibly in RedHat), you typically install
over the Internet.  Couldn't we just set up one computer as a FTP server
for a bunch of distros and have everything load off of that?  One reason
why not is to allow everyone to take home a CD.  But for Debian, you
could give them a 30mb netinst cd (or 2 floppies).  Another reason is if
they can't get their network card working...you get the picture.

> As for books no objection to people selling useful books to cover costs or
> to benefit PLUG or the FSF.

I agree that we could sell books to cover costs.  My suggestion again:
is there some newbie how-to we could print out and distribute for free?
I think it's important that everyone walks away with some tangible
documentation.  (Even those who are too cheap to buy a book.  Remember,
price is a significant draw to the open-source world...)

Michael F. Robbins
mike@gamerack.com