gabriel rosenkoetter on Sun, 21 Apr 2002 22:59:39 -0400

Re: [PLUG] 256 color & XFree86 issues

On Sun, Apr 21, 2002 at 09:58:11PM -0400, Michael F. Robbins wrote:
> I picked up an old HP Envizex X-Terminal off ebay (see
> http://www.ductape.net/~brianm/xterm/).  Got it doing XDMCP off the
> linux box.  Sometimes, especially in konqueror or mozilla, the box will
> just freeze.  My current hypothesis is that this is because the box only
> runs at 256 colors, and that the programs are trying to allocate more.
> What can I do to prevent the over-allocation of the color pallet?

This strikes me as being far more likely a font problem. X handles
running out of colors "gracefully"... by not displaying them. (Netscape
4.7 works fine on Suns with 8-bit consoles... it just looks horrid.)

Font problems, on the other hand, will really wreck your day, and
the bounds checking for them within many X server is very broken.
(I've seen it happen in NetBSD's XsunMono and in early XF86 4s.)

--
gabriel rosenkoetter
gr@eclipsed.net