Noah silva on Mon, 22 Apr 2002 10:18:41 -0400

Re: [PLUG] OT: Comparing POP3 and IMAP

Perhaps we should directly state the differences, nobody has done it,
because we all assume everybody knows them, but just in case:

In the beginning... if you used a computer, it was probably a server
or a dumb terminal.  If it had internet access, it was probably on a
static IP at a college or government location.  Each system had users, and
users could have email.  If your address was: Bob@trick-or-treat.nsa.gov,
it meant you had an account called "bob" on the server "trick-or-treat" in
the domain nsa.gov.  If you sent an email to sue@trick-or-treat.nsa.gov,
the server would simply move your message to her mail spool.  More likely
than not, you were directly using the server via telnet or some similar
protocol, or maybe running an X program on the server, but displaying it
on a remote workstation.  If you sent an email to sue@hot-male.com, then
your server would send the mail to that server (actually, the MX for that
domain, but I digress), and then when sue logged in, she could check her
email.

Only, with the advent of PCs that weren't connected all the time, and
didn't have static IPs, and that were powerfull enough to run GUI programs
locally, it became more and more common to want to read your email on a
machine that it wasn't delivered to.  To solve this, POP, and
(later?) IMAP were invented.

POP is based on the idea of copying/moving the mail spool that is on the
server to your computer.  The idea here is you dial up, get the mail off
you ISP's unix box, copy it to your PC, and probably delete it.  You like
it because you have all your mail locally, and your ISP likes it because
you free up space for them.  Obviously data downloaded with POP is
available for off-line access.

IMAP is more or less the opposite, it is a way to access you mail from
other machines.  This model is based more on centralized access, rather
than just pumping everything down to your PC.  It has the advantage that
you could have 5 different PCs accessing your email via IMAP, and still
use PINE or an X program from the server to access the same
email.  Off-line access seems to depend on the client (some cache the IMAP
data, and I have seen some that don't seem to at all).  As mentioned
before, typically clients will scan [and download] the message headers so
that you can get a listing of all of the mail on the server, but without
actually downloading the full body of all of it.  When the user attempts
to read or preview a specific message, the full message is downloaded and
displayed.  As such, there is often a slight delay when changing messages,
especially on dial-up connections, but there is rarely a 10 minute wait to
download all of your email at once when you connect.

for my use, I have mainly used (in the past 5 years or so):
a.) PINE (local)
b.) PINE (IMAP)
c.) Netscape/Mozilla (IMAP)
d.) Ximian Evolution (IMAP)

I have also almost always been doing this in on-line mode, so for the
clients that support disconnected mode, you might want to check how they
handle what they do with IMAP messages (i.e.. is there a way to tell it to
retrieve the full body of all messages before going off-line?)

(Note: Anyone, please feel free to jump in and add more info or correct me
if I mis-stated something).

  -- noah silva