Jeff Weisberg on Mon, 22 Apr 2002 10:32:50 -0400

Re: [PLUG] OT: Comparing POP3 and IMAP

| So, the actual time is not really a concern for me.  The perceived time
| is, dependent on my reading style.  There are more important features of
| IMAP which make it superior to POP.  The ability to check mail from
| multiple computers without having local mailboxes getting out of sync.
|  The benefit of not losing mail if the client computer crashes since the
| mail is kept on the server which is also backed up.  Maybe more secure.
|
|  From the server side, I think POP is better since the messages are
| removed from the server when they are viewed.  But, actually, drive
| space is pretty cheap, so it might not matter.

while there are numerous differences between POP and IMAP,
both have the ability to either delete messages from the server
or leave messages on the server.

both are equally (in)secure.

I would suggest that the original poster read the specs:
	rfc 1939 - POP 3
	rfc 2060 - IMAP 4

	--jeff