Darxus on Mon, 22 Apr 2002 19:20:12 +0200

[PLUG] april 2002 plug keysigning results

http://www.phillylinux.org/keys/

The keysigning went well.  There were 15 participants - over half of the 26
meeting attendees.

There were 7 new and 8 repeat participants.

I'm pretty sure it's the first time over half of the attendees participated.

It's the first time more than 10 people participated (august 2001).

It's the first time more than 6 new people participated (July 2000 - 1st
keysigning).

It's the first time more than 6 repeat participants participated
(January 2002).

And it's the first time all of these records have been broken at once.

*And* we got all of the signatures collected in a mere 2 days.

So I think it pretty much broke every record (and substantially affected
the graph of our signatures).  This has motivated me to update stuff.

1) I cleaned up the keysigning page (http://www.phillylinux.org/keys/) -
moved a *lot* of the stuff on the front page into sub pages.  Should
be.. easier to read now.

2) I updated the signature data file used by sigtrace
(http://www.chaosreigns.com/code/sigtrace/), so all you new participants
who couldn't trace signature paths before can now.  For example, from the
creator of PGP to myself:

 $ /usr/bin/time ./sigtrace.pl FAEBD5FC 0E9FF879
 Data loaded, tracing....
 level:0 keys:1 seconds:0
 level:1 keys:76 seconds:0
 level:2 keys:826 seconds:0
 level:3 keys:2 seconds:0
 4 hop path: FAEBD5FC 9D496584 F6F83318 80675E65 0E9FF879
 FAEBD5FC Philip R. Zimmermann <prz@pgp.com>
 9D496584 Network Associates TNS Division Employee Certification Key
 F6F83318 Jason Bobier <jason@prismatix.com>
 80675E65 Leonard D. Rosenthol <leonardr@lazerware.com>
 0E9FF879 Darxus <Darxus@ChaosReigns.com>
 0.29user 0.02system 0:00.31elapsed 99%CPU (0avgtext+0avgdata 0maxresident)k

(there is also a script, http://www.chaosreigns.com/code/mutt-sigtrace/ to
display these paths after signature verification within the mutt
mailreader)

As a result of updating sigtrace's data, I was able to see that we now
have more links to the largest signature cluster.  For a while, the only
path had been through:

pub  1024D/80675E65 1997-07-30 Leonard D. Rosenthol <leonardr@rogue-admins.com>

The other three links are through:

pub  1024D/0CF9091A 2001-07-23 gabriel rosenkoetter <gr@eclipsed.net>
pub  1024D/67A7B584 1999-10-20 Walter C. Mankowski <waltman@pobox.com>
pub  1024D/33E3FE56 2001-07-10 David M. Turner <novalis@novalis.org>

I haven't yet checked the dates on all of the signatures to see when these
happened.  Walt and David are both linked through the same person, but we
have have 3 separate paths to the primary cluster of signatures.

I updated the graph of signature paths from famous people to me, but
have not yet merged this data with our keyring graph.  This graph is
huge (3284x2970).  You may want to download the .ps instead of the .jpg
because the quality is much better and the file is smaller, but it will
require more processing to load.

http://www.phillylinux.org/keys/darxus.famous.jpg 320k
http://www.phillylinux.org/keys/darxus.famous.ps 48k

I also did a graph of just the participants from the last keysigning -
http://www.phillylinux.org/keys/new.jpg.  Everybody seems to be slightly
different colors when they should all be the same, so there is a bug in the
coloring of my sig2dot program.

--
"Blessed are they who, in the face of death, think only about the
front sight."