Darxus on Tue, 23 Apr 2002 23:10:14 +0200

Re: [PLUG] Biglumber - new key signing site

On 04/23, Noah silva wrote:
> a.) If I sign the message every time, and you verify the signature, you
> can be sure that it is at least the same person sending the email every
> time, even if you don't believe my name is really "noah silva".

I don't even look at, let alone memorize your key ID, so no, I don't know
all of your posts are signed with the same key.  And if someone were to
start posting with a different key with the same name, I would think you
decided to generate a new key, not that someone else is trying to
impersonate you.

> also: I could show up to PLUG with a fake ID and get you all to sign my
> public key as "Robert R DiCicco".  Just like my employer's building

Yeah, verifying identities can be tricky.  I know I read of at least
one keysigning party that required 2 forms of photo ID.  I consider
PLUG keysignings a forum for people to verify each other's identities
and fingerprints as they see fit, and give suggestions on how to do so.
As our keysignings get bigger and less personal (and I'm less likely
to know the participants) I have been considering requiring people to
exchange encrypted passwords with me before I sign their key, and I
think I'm going to start doing that.

--
"You shall know the truth, and it shall make you odd."
-- Flannery O'Connor