Charles Stack on Wed, 24 Apr 2002 09:14:57 -0400

RE: Ricochet and various wireless (was: Re: [PLUG] key-signing Thursday?)

Well, if you can "feel" the radiation of your microwave (as opposed to feeling the air from its fan or the vibration from any moving parts), then I strongly suggest you buy a new microwave as your microwave oven's door seals are probably bad.

Here's a quote for you:
"The signal's 2.4GHz microwave frequency matches the resonance frequency of water and ice. The signal swiftly loses strength when passing through the hotel walls, says Sylvan, expending its energy on heating up the water. A microwave oven operates on the same principle, he explains, although with the power levels used by the Spectrum24 network equipment--100 milliwatts, compared to 1,000 watts or more for a microwave--there's little danger that ordering a vodka tonic will melt a hole through the building. "

cjs

-----Original Message-----
From: plug-admin@lists.phillylinux.org [mailto:plug-admin@lists.phillylinux.org]On Behalf Of Paul
Sent: Wednesday, April 24, 2002 7:52 AM
To: plug@lists.phillylinux.org
Subject: Re: Ricochet and various wireless (was: Re: [PLUG] key-signing Thursday?)

show for wireless NIC's and phones.  It's kinda scary that the same
frequency used to heat food is being radiated from those devices.

Why?

(Frequency and signal strength are two vastly different things.)
True, but I don't hold a microwave oven up to my head when I use it!  I can feel the microwave oven running when I within two feet of it.

So, what is the signal strength of a wireless phone or NIC?