Charles Stack on Wed, 24 Apr 2002 12:00:06 -0400

RE: Ricochet and various wireless (was: Re: [PLUG] key-signing Thursday?)

I've heard that putting the magnetron/Kylstron of a few microwaves into a
waveguide is a good way to fry the electronics of an automobile (when you
mount it on the front of your car).  Haven't tried this one myself...be a
little nervouse about the effects of 40 KW of untamed microwave radiation on
me and my vehicle.

In 1991, while stationed in Norfolk,VA, I made the mistake of parking my car
on their pier.  When I tried to start to my car (a Mitsubishi Eclipse GS),
all the warning lights came on and then the car went dead.  I looked up only
to see two fire control technicians on a cruiser pointing the firecontrol
radar in my general direction (I assume they were doing maintenance).  My
electronics actually survived.  But, EVERY fuse in the car was blown
(including the main 60 AMP one).  Yes, I filed a complaint with Officer of
the Deck on the ship in question for operating their FC RADAR in port and
had my repair costs reimbursed.

Charles