Jeyes, David (371) on Wed, 24 Apr 2002 16:21:05 -0400

Re: [PLUG] PLUG Wireless/ Co-op?

Title: Re: [PLUG] PLUG Wireless/ Co-op?

> Message: 7
> Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2002 15:30:31 -0400 (EDT)
> From: Noah silva <nsilva@atari-source.com>
> To: plug@lists.phillylinux.org
> Subject: Re: [PLUG] PLUG Wireless/ Co-op?
>
> In order to do 802.11, we would need to have a lot more of a dense
> concentration in Center City (or wherever) I think.  I could set up a
> 802.11x gateway at my house, but the next one might be 15 blocks away.
>
> Also if you allow internet traffic, you have to get an ISP to
> agree to it.

Well- if you're interested that makes three. From my understanding, depending on the antenna and amplification, 15 blocks would be cake (although the buildings would be an obstacle).

If you are looking at it as a commercial idea- this would strictly be internet sharing among friends. Otherwise it would have to be business class access (as it would be considered re-selling)

> for the record though, I wouldn't mind setting one up (or
> allowing use of
> my ricochet "network", for anyone who has time to set up STARnet).
>
>   -- noah silva

That's the ticket! A community of friends (trusting on MAC address identification). We are all sharing our existing broadband connection, rather than purchasing tons of new lines. This would also take care of the recurring fee.

Also, through replicating the MAC address database/ list, you would be able to authenticate automatically from cell to cell.

dj