Noah silva on Wed, 24 Apr 2002 16:36:51 -0400

Re: [PLUG] PLUG Wireless/ Co-op?

> Well- if you're interested that makes three. From my understanding,
> depending on the antenna and amplification, 15 blocks would be cake
> (although the buildings would be an obstacle).

If you use the "right" antenna, it would then be very directional, so you
would need to get quite a few 802.11 bases for each base-station you
wanted to set up camp.  The "right" amplification probably wouldn't be
legal ;).  Why do you think I use the ricochet modems?  They have much
greater range (with an omni antenna, no less) than most current 802.11
hardware.

> If you are looking at it as a commercial idea- this would strictly be
> internet sharing among friends. Otherwise it would have to be business class
> access (as it would be considered re-selling)

My contract with speakeasy allows reselling.  I don't know that it allows
transporting the connection to other buildings.  (i.e. I can run
commercial web sites and charge, etc., but I don't think I am supposed to
run ethernet cables to all of my neighbor's houses).

  -- noah silva