gabriel rosenkoetter on Wed, 24 Apr 2002 17:13:25 -0400

Re: [PLUG] PLUG Wireless/ Co-op?

On Wed, Apr 24, 2002 at 04:33:19PM -0400, Noah silva wrote:
> If you use the "right" antenna, it would then be very directional, so you
> would need to get quite a few 802.11 bases for each base-station you
> wanted to set up camp.  The "right" amplification probably wouldn't be
> legal ;).  Why do you think I use the ricochet modems?  They have much
> greater range (with an omni antenna, no less) than most current 802.11
> hardware.

Hrm. Not so sure about 802.11 antennas all being that bad.
Swarthmore hits all floors of its library with only maybe two
base stations per floor and there were some antenna specifications
to make that work. (That is, they're not omni, they're something
that makes sense being that it wouldn't be able to get outside
through the ridiculous walls and narrow windows anyway.)

--
gabriel rosenkoetter
gr@eclipsed.net