Bill Jonas on Wed, 24 Apr 2002 22:50:34 -0400

Re: [PLUG] PLUG Wireless/ Co-op?

On Wed, Apr 24, 2002 at 10:30:27PM -0400, Doug Crompton wrote:
> It is line of sight and antennas (for fixed broadband wireless) can be
> whatever you want to satisfy your coverage area. Omni or directional. Omni
> would give you 360 degree coverage out to about 5-7 miles depending on
> height. The client would use a high-gain  direction antenna pointed at
> the base. A High gain narrow beamwidth antenna could go to 20 miles plus
> point to point.

This reminded me of some Robert X. Cringely articles I'd seen before, so
I went a-looking.

In case it will be of any use, I humbly present:

There are a few other hits, so in case they will be of any relevance,
the search I used is at
<http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=cringely+802.11b+site%3A.pbs.org>.

"They that can give up  essential  liberty to obtain a little temporary
safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."        -- Benjamin Franklin