Kevin Brosius on Thu, 25 Apr 2002 16:36:46 -0400

[PLUG] Re: Urban EW (was RE: Ricochet and various wireless (was: Re: [PLUG] key-signing Thursday?))

Paul wrote:

> >The metal of the other vehicle would some of the RF.  The trick is to set up
> >a current loop rather than the pure RF radiation hazard.  But, I sure
> >
> That reminds me.  Just introducing voltage to the frame should wack out
> things.  If you raise the ground voltage to 12 volts, that would
> effectively reduce the operating voltage to zero.  That would shut an
> engine down.  Going higher than 12 volts would cause a reverse current
> which could blow things up, especially a computer.  (I guess that brings
> it back on topic.)

That seems kind of unlikely.  Most cars are isolated, so raising the
'ground' (which is floating) just pushes the +12 higher.  (Relative to
whatever we are calling '0'.  Aren't floating systems fun?)

--
Kevin Brosius