gabriel rosenkoetter on Thu, 25 Apr 2002 17:06:57 -0400

Re: [PLUG] Buying a Sparc

On Thu, Apr 25, 2002 at 04:28:21PM -0400, Naresh Reddy wrote:
> I am planning to buy a Sparc machine to run Solaris. Can I get a
> suggestion? I don't want to spend too money, just for learning purposes,
> and maybe use it as a server.

As Noah pointed out, older sparcs are quite easy to come by.

But they're also slow.

I'd bet you could find an Ultra 1 (probably even one of the fancy
Creator Series ones with all kinds of fun SCSI inside) for a pretty
reasonable price used (maybe around $1000 at the most? That's
without even looking), and it'd work quite well.

You might also be able to find decent prices on Ultra 5s and 10s.
Sun still sells those new too (for vaguely $2500 and $5000
respectively the last time I checked, though I haven't really looked
at Sun workstation prices in quite a while; I can tell you how much
a V880 is, though).

If you're buying new, you might also look at the Sun Blade line.

--
gabriel rosenkoetter
gr@eclipsed.net