Fred K Ollinger on Sun, 28 Apr 2002 00:04:16 -0400

Re: [PLUG] Newbie's first question - modem will ftp, but not http

> What I haven't figured out is how to reach any www addresses,
> such as the one on which my mail resides (also Voicenet, but a
> dynamically selected server rather than the fixed one for
> amenex.com).  Even Google is unreachable; all return a "server
> not found" message.

What happens when you ping www.google.com from command line?

What ftp client did you use?

What is the contents of /etc/resolv.conf?

> I've configured Kppp and my Netscape Preferences identically
> to the ones on my W98 machine (running Netscape 4.7); the Linux
> PC is running Linux 7.2 and Netscape 4.78.

What linux distro is this? Red Hat I'm guessing. The highest version of
linux is 2.5.x (kernel).

> Once, when I ran "kppp &" in Terminal mode, I got an error
> message that "ppp0 can't be found"  when I tried to access a
> www site from Terminal.  That's the only clue that I can offer
> from the various logs I've read.

How do you get internet access? I'm guessing it's dial-up.

welcome,

Fred