Doug Crompton on Sun, 28 Apr 2002 13:40:58 -0400

[PLUG] IDSL question

I have a question that maybe someone on this list could answer. I recently
filed a formal complaint with the PUC regarding Verizons 18K foot limit on
DSL subscription. They came back with answers to my complaint that are
mostly laughable. I need to formulate a response. Thus my question.

I am about 21000 feet from my central office (verizon measurement) and my
phone is currently carried over Lucent carrier equipment. I estimate about
2K feet of copper between me and the end of the fiber that goes back to
the CO.

IDSL at 144K/144K is and has been deployed nationwide on copper to a
maximum of 36K feet. Repeaters are required beyond 18K feet. Maximum of
two repeaters, so it can go beyond 36K.

My question is this:  How long can the fiber link be and is this part of
the calculation? I assume not but I just want to make sure. Thus in my
case as far as IDSL is concerned I am only 2K feet from the CO. So no
argument about repeaters could be make. IDSL is really repackaged IDSN or
always on IDSN without the requirement to bridge modems to get the 144K.

I assumming Verisons denial of letting the IDSL fly here is that it would
cut into their IDSN (tariffed) service. Verizon will now install IDSN to
virtually anywhere but not allow others beyond the 18K limit.

Doug

*  Doug Crompton	   *
*  Richboro, PA 18954	   *
*  215-431-6307		   *