Bill Jonas on Mon, 29 Apr 2002 12:18:25 -0400

Re: [PLUG] kernel patching

[If a new thread is started, can we please compose a new email rather
than replying to a random old one?  It messes up threading in a threaded
mailreader.  Thanks.]

On Mon, Apr 29, 2002 at 10:31:34AM -0400, Paul wrote:
> should avoid it.  "patch-2.4.11-dontuse.gz"  Does that mean I should
> not run the system based on that patch, but that it would be OK to use
> it and move on the 2.4.12 patch?

2.4.11 was bad.  You can go ahead and use the patch to bring you up to
the current version, but don't stop at 2.4.11.

> I've never patched a kernel before.  Does anyone have any
> suggestions?  (I want to patch instead of downloading the newer kernel
> for two reasons.  I'm on a dial-up and I want to learn to patch.)

Once you have everything you need (patch 2.4.1[1-8]), you can use
commands similar to these:

/usr/src$ tar -xjf linux-2.4.10.tar.bz2
/usr/src$ cd linux
/usr/src/linux$ bzcat ../patch-2.4.1* |patch -p1 -s

Of course, if you're using gzipped files, substitute the appropriate
commands/options above.

The -p1 option to patch means "skip one directory from the beginning of
the filename".  -s means "be silent unless there's an error".  See the
manual page for more details.

"They that can give up  essential  liberty to obtain a little temporary
safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."        -- Benjamin Franklin