Fred K Ollinger on Mon, 29 Apr 2002 17:30:26 -0400

Re: [PLUG] kernel patching

> (So you are reversing the patches, as well as applying them in
> reverse.)  If the Red Hat book says you can't do this, then I'd say they
> are wrong.  Unless they meant rpm patch updates.  It's possible that rpm
> would run pre- or post- scripts which would make the update process
> irreversible on a Red Hat system.

Wild guess. rh patches their kernels before release. They're 2.4.9 is
_not_ close to vanilla 2.4.9. Never shall the twain meet.

If you have a kernel patch, use stock kernel from ww.kernel.org.

I find rh kernels to be good for most users. If you got this far, though,
you probably know what's going on so you'd be better off w/ stock kernel,
patched to taste.

I usually use a rh kernel, then if I need extra features, I go get a stock
one. This is at work. I always use my own kernel at home under debian. :)

Fred