JP Toto on Tue, 30 Apr 2002 09:53:44 -0400

Re: [PLUG] Possible MBR Curruptoin (With the question, this time)

> MBR or partition table?  Either way, do you care
> about the partitions?
> If not, the SuSE disk can be started in repair mode,
> then use fdisk to
> wipe the partition table and see if that helps.  (or
> any other Linux
> boot/repair disk could be used to do this.)  If
> you're booting off the
> CD, MBR shouldn't matter.

Tried that. Even wrote all the bits of the drive back
to zero with a utility. Same issue remains.

> Also, the SuSE install can be told which drivers to
> load.  You might
> need to do this if the hd controller isn't auto
> recognized.  Easiest way
> to know is to hit the SuSE website and plug your hd
> controller into
> their hardware database.  See what it says about
> support for that model.

I actually installed suse successfully using safe
settings. These included "nodma" tags in lilo. This
made the system run like crap. I took out the nodma
(to enable dma) and now the system hangs on boot when
it's trying to reconcile the partitions just like
during the install boot cd. Some how it can't read the
paritition table or mbr or something.

> --
> Kevin Brosius

=====