Michael Leone on Tue, 30 Apr 2002 22:38:16 -0400

Re: [PLUG] Re: Newbie's first question - a quick reply

On Tue, 2002-04-30 at 18:51, Fred K Ollinger wrote:
> > Red-faced admission: I was thinking about the W98-PC environment
> > here.  Nevertheless, in the Linux world, my CDWriter CW212 (which
> > is detected by Linux as "CDWriter IDE 128 Rev. 1.04") is a real
> > IDE device, not patched to IDE from an SCSI backbone.
>
> I have read that cd-rw drivers are actually using scsi emulation even
> though it's an ide device. So you need scsi generic and ide-scsi in your
> kernel (they are default in rh 7.2 stock kernels). Also, often you do need
> to pass the ide-scsi option to kernel at boot time as one poster pointed
> out.

Yep. You pass a parameter to the kernel during boot, and get ...

SCSI subsystem driver Revision: 1.00
Uniform CD-ROM driver Revision: 3.12
scsi0 : SCSI host adapter emulation for IDE ATAPI devices
  Vendor: SONY      Model: CD-RW  CRX175E2   Rev: S002
  Type:   CD-ROM                             ANSI SCSI revision: 02
Attached scsi CD-ROM sr0 at scsi0, channel 0, id 0, lun 0
sr0: scsi3-mmc drive: 40x/40x writer cd/rw xa/form2 cdda tray

which is really an IDE CD-RW. And you write to /dev/sr0.

PGP public key:
<http://www.mike-leone.com/~turgon/turgon-public-key.gpg>

Conform or be cast out.