Fred K Ollinger on Tue, 30 Apr 2002 18:52:07 -0400

[PLUG] Re: Newbie's first question - a quick reply

> Red-faced admission: I was thinking about the W98-PC environment
> here.  Nevertheless, in the Linux world, my CDWriter CW212 (which
> is detected by Linux as "CDWriter IDE 128 Rev. 1.04") is a real
> IDE device, not patched to IDE from an SCSI backbone.

I have read that cd-rw drivers are actually using scsi emulation even
though it's an ide device. So you need scsi generic and ide-scsi in your
kernel (they are default in rh 7.2 stock kernels). Also, often you do need
to pass the ide-scsi option to kernel at boot time as one poster pointed
out.

> I think that what I need to do to extract the several hundred MB
> from the W98 machine's hard drive is to set up a direct connection
> between the two machines.  I'm becoming hesitant to yank the W98

Why not use samba? You can go into net neighborhood and see the linux hard
drive. Do you have a hub?

Also, you could set up ftp on the linux box and ftp in via windows box.

> But W's intervened, and now I kinda like GUI's 'cuz they give
> me the opportunity to memorize information and ideas
> pertaining to metallurgy a greater fraction of my working day.

You have to use what ever gets the jog done for you. If you like guis then
by all means use them. It's just that since I use cli so often, I'm often
not best person to help w/ guis. I like to solve low level hw probs then
pass off the job to someone who spends more time in gui-space. I am trying
to force myself to use a gui, though, b/c so many I work for use them and
I never can give good advice!

I just didn't want you to think that I didn't help or I'm trying to push
cli. I'm not. I'm trying to learn cli and help people, but I need to be
honest about what I don't know. :)

Fred