George Langford on Tue, 30 Apr 2002 16:50:16 -0400

[PLUG] Re: Newbie's first question - a quick reply

Hello fellow PLUGgers !

Greg Helledy answered my inquiries:

> I use X-CD-Roast as a gui frontend to cdrecord.  The author's
> just released a new version, which I haven't tried yet. It
> requires the latest versions of cdrecord, mkisofs, and another
> tool, which are all available from the site
> 	http://www.xcdroast.org

> I didn't read your original message, but assuming you have IDE
> CDR/CDRW drive(s) you'll need to set up SCSI emulation for
> them.  This is probably as simple as passing a line to lilo at
> boot:   hdc=ide-scsi  (assuming your IDE CDR/CDRW is secondary
> master) I believe you can add this line to file lilo.conf
> Could a guru confirm this?

> Greg

As you may already have read, I set up and used XCDRoast for this
and it worked like a charm in spite of my random pecking at the
various GUI buttons.  It would not let me do anything wrong.

> > Who's a good CD burner software vendor ?  I have given up on
> > Roxio and Nero.  And also on Philips and HP as CD-R/W makers.
> > I have to get a burner working this week or I'm in big trouble.

Red-faced admission: I was thinking about the W98-PC environment
here.  Nevertheless, in the Linux world, my CDWriter CW212 (which
is detected by Linux as "CDWriter IDE 128 Rev. 1.04") is a real
IDE device, not patched to IDE from an SCSI backbone.

I think that what I need to do to extract the several hundred MB
from the W98 machine's hard drive is to set up a direct connection
between the two machines.  I'm becoming hesitant to yank the W98
machine's HD out of its case (where it's reasonably happy) and
then patch it onto the Linux PC's case (inside which there is zero
room and only one IDE interface (Primary & Slave, both already in
use).  Can I do this over a phone line without connecting to the
outside world ? In other words, with a null modem ?  I did do
such a thing a lot once upon a time while developing an 8051-based
system which also used Parallax's Basic Stamps (I and II).  That
was with the Terminal interface in Windows (and also DOS 6.22
before that, as I remember).  What I'm unsure about is whether
I need a simple connection through a modular plug (just like the
phone line) and a long piece of four-conductor telephone cable
or whether there's another device that goes in there somewhere.
With my old setups I always used a serial cable, although I did
set up a hard-wired special cable for long distances between the
Stamps.  I can carry the one computer into close proximity to the
second one, so a six foot serial cable would be plenty long
enough.  Is Terminal my best choice for this ? It's a one-time
deal, as my plan is to get a second Linux PC once the first one
settles down into a stable configuration.

Fred had asked:

> I use linux's cdrecord only. I don't know about gui tools. Many
> other list tools use gui only and can help w/ this one. I post
> back to the list.

> Fred

I loved DOS 6.22 (at least, after W came onto the scene) ; I
started to use DRDos and thought that was even better, but the
laptop in which it was installed self-destructed, thereby
preventing me from progressing beyond the starry-eyed stage.
But W's intervened, and now I kinda like GUI's 'cuz they give
me the opportunity to memorize information and ideas
pertaining to metallurgy a greater fraction of my working day.

... snippage ...

This forum is a wonderful help; which is worth the cost of
admission to the Linux world.  Not monetary, of course, but
the friendly world of making things work right.

My thanks to Greg & Fred.

Best regards,
George
amenex@amenex.com