Fred K Ollinger on Wed, 1 May 2002 01:10:22 +0200

Re: [PLUG] OT: plug post-meeting foodplace

I live in w. philly. I'll give my opinion on these as compared to mad4mex.

mad4mex is going to be really loud. The food is ok, but a bit overpriced
for me (but not for the area: penn campus). The beer is great. :)

> New China Gourmet
> (215) 222-1577
> 4604 Woodland Ave
> Philadelphia, PA  Map
> 0.1 miles

Never been there. Sounds nice and quiet.

> Wurst House
> (215) 386-1450
> 4301 Baltimore Ave
> Philadelphia, PA  Map
> 0.2 miles

It's ok, but a bit grundgy. It can take 20 people easily.

> Royal Pizza
> (215) 222-1900
> 4202 Baltimore Ave
> Philadelphia, PA  Map
> 0.2 miles

same

> Gold Star Pizza
> (215) 386-5553
> 1247 S 47th St
> Philadelphia, PA  Map
> 0.2 miles
>
> Fiesta Pizza
> (215) 386-5455
> 4518 Baltimore Ave
> Philadelphia, PA  Map
> 0.2 miles

Never been there.

> Queen Sheba

> (215) 382-2099
> 4511 Baltimore Ave
> Philadelphia, PA  Map
> 0.2 miles

Ethiopian IMHO. I've been there once. Really cool.

There are a slew of ethiopian resturants on Baltimore. Gojos is cool but
loud (46th + Baltimore).

Dalack (b/w 47th and 48th and Baltimore) is probably the best bet. It can
take the 20 people and it's got beer and you can sit outside or inside. I
don't know about the music level, though. Outside (nice night) would be
fabulous.

There are a few more Ethiopian places on the Baltimore as well.

There are loads of cool places in b/w mad4mex and the meeting many of
which are as nice as or nicer than mad4mex. Many quieter. I think that the
new deck tavern is best place in that area b/c there's a downstairs which
is quieter and it's next door to mad4mex. white dog cafe is also a bit
nicer and quieter.

I used to be a regular at mad4mex so I don't hate it, but I wouldn't want
to go there w/ many people who would like to quietly sit down and talk
about computers any more than I'd like to go to smokes or egypts for a
post plug chat.

Maybe we can get some specs and we can discuss this more w/ more w.
phillites. I know that close is good. I think quiet is also good. Big is
necessary. I would add bike/walk accessable from the meeting as a personal
preference, but not a must for many people.

I'm not even making it to the meeting (I have another meeting that night),
but I'm trying to help out.

Fred