Jon Galt on Wed, 1 May 2002 02:16:48 -0400

Re: [PLUG] samba

On Wed, 1 May 2002, Doug Crompton wrote:

> Info from - http://www.troubleshooters.com/linux/samba.htm

Excellent!  Thank you Doug!

I knew there was the issue of plaintext vs encrypted passwords, and
had tried some changes based on it before you sent me this URL, but
apparently I didn't try the right combination of things.

Anyhow, this tutorial helped, and now I can see my home directory on the
Linux box as though it were a shared directory on a Windows box.

I did have some flakiness while attempting to back up a folder from the
Win98 box to the Linux box.  It seemed to be related to my trying to
access the Linux box from another computer while the backup (a simple copy
command) was taking place.  I got a connection reset by peer message, and
then couldn't access the Linux box in any way (HTTP, SSH, or SMB).  Nor
could either Win98 box see the other.  Definitely weird.

Plugged a monitor into the Linux box and it seemed OK, including shelling
into a host outside my LAN and accessing the web server from there.  So I
messed with both the Win98 boxes for a while, including that ever popular
Windows fix - rebooting.  The last thing I did was changed the workgroup
name in both Windows boxes to be all caps to match the workgroup setting
in my Samba config.  Don't know if that made a difference, but I have
successfully made the backup twice, once while accessing the Samba server
from the second Win98 box in the middle of the transfer.

Cool.

Wayne

Need an experienced programmer who knows
both the Unix and Microsoft worlds?

Then you need to hire Wayne:
http://hirewayne.com

wayne@hirewayne.com