George Langford, Sc.D. on Wed, 1 May 2002 02:41:00 -0400

[PLUG] Re: Newbie's First Question - followup to those pesky bookmarks

Hi fellow PLUGgers !

Fred and I wrote:

> > Netscape 4.78 keeps telling me it's made an "error
> > saving bookmarks file."
> >
> > I've tracked down two places where Netscape saves this file:
> >
> >       /usr/lib/netscape/bookmark.htm
> > and
> >       /home/user0/bookmark.htm
>
> Do an ls -al on those files and post them.

Ok - I did that, but with File Manager and gedit. I posted the
results in a separate E-mail.

> I think it's a perm problem.

As in "permissions" ?

> If so I'll tell how to fix.

> Who are you (login) when you browser?

amenex@amenex.com  I have to change my preferences to
georgel@voicenet.com
to read the mail aimed at my "real" Voicenet user name (georgel).

I do have georgel@voicenet.com in the box when I open the telephone
dialer,
but that's the only way it works.  amenex@amenex.com won't get past the
initial connection to Voicenet (password not accepted or wrong username,
guess) and simply georgel has a similar problem - can't retrieve E-mail,
once connected to Voicenet. So it's gotta be georgel@voicenet.com with
the
telephone and ammenex.com once in Netscape.

My messages to georgel@voicenet.com are stored in a different place (or
at
least with a different username) on Voicenet's POPmail server.

> > but I have to open that version of the bookmark.htm file with
> > Netscape's "open file" menu entry.
>
> What ver of netscape?

Netscape 4.78.

> Also, try mozilla.

OK - I'll report on that separately.

> I haven't had any troubles w/ any ns. I use:

> netscape       4.77-2

> Fred

Hmmmm.  This hasn't been a problem with the W95-W98 Netscapes,
which are the 4.7 that I use on the MS boxes.  But early Netscapes
were memory hogs that wanted all the conventional memory in
286's and 386's.

Best regards,
George
amenex@amenex.com