Jon Galt on Wed, 1 May 2002 11:25:39 -0400

[PLUG] samba weirdness

Hi all,
  my Linux/Win98 network is now functional, but I have a minor weirdness.
(No remarks from the peanut gallery! :-) )
  My Win98 computers didn't see other machines in Network Neighborhood,
but could successfully find both the other Win98 machine and the Linux
machine via the Start/Search menu.  I asked another list about this, as it
seemed more a Windows question, and was told to install NetBEUI.  Now the
Win98 machines can see each other in Network Neighborhood, but cannot see
the Linux box.  The Start/Search still works to find the Linux box.
  When I first got this to work, I could see all three machines in Network
Neighborhood.
  I restarted Samba after I installed NetBEUI on the Win98 boxes, not
having a clue if it would make a difference.  It doesn't seem to have.
  Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Wayne

Need an experienced programmer who knows
both the Unix and Microsoft worlds?

Then you need to hire Wayne:
http://hirewayne.com

wayne@hirewayne.com