Jon Nelson on Wed, 1 May 2002 15:22:06 -0400

Re: [PLUG] samba weirdness

In my experience with samba if you can't see your Linux box in Network
Neighborhood but you can access it by Start->Run->\\my_linux_box, then it is
a name resolution problem (ie, WINS).  I use swat to manipulate my smb.conf
file and the "wins support" setting is at the bottom of the "Globals" tab.
Once you enable it restart samba on the "status" tab.  In the future if
things aren't showing up in Network Neighborhood try restarting nmbd on the
"status" tab to get it to show up (or you could wait for WINS to refresh).

Jon
On 01/05/02 11:24 -0400, Jon Galt wrote:
> Hi all,
>   my Linux/Win98 network is now functional, but I have a minor weirdness.
> (No remarks from the peanut gallery! :-) )
>   My Win98 computers didn't see other machines in Network Neighborhood,
> but could successfully find both the other Win98 machine and the Linux
> machine via the Start/Search menu.  I asked another list about this, as it
> seemed more a Windows question, and was told to install NetBEUI.  Now the
> Win98 machines can see each other in Network Neighborhood, but cannot see
> the Linux box.  The Start/Search still works to find the Linux box.
>   When I first got this to work, I could see all three machines in Network
> Neighborhood.
>   I restarted Samba after I installed NetBEUI on the Win98 boxes, not
> having a clue if it would make a difference.  It doesn't seem to have.
>   Any suggestions?
>
> Thanks,
> Wayne
>
> Need an experienced programmer who knows
> both the Unix and Microsoft worlds?
>
> Then you need to hire Wayne:
> http://hirewayne.com
>
> wayne@hirewayne.com

Trooper Jon S. NELSON, Linux Certified Admin. (Sair/GNU)
Pennsylvania State Police, Computer Crimes Unit
Office:  610-344-4471
Page:  866-284-1603 (Toll Free)