billywissman on Wed, 1 May 2002 11:40:04 -0400

[PLUG] Creative SB Live! Value

A few weeks ago I posted a message about not being able to get sound from my Creative SB Live! Value card. I got many responses, all which helped solve the mystery. Thanks for all the help.

Background:
A google search led me to a mail-archive on www.linux-mandrake.com (many props!). According to what I read the linux emu10k1 driver (by default) sends an analog signal to the sound card which is relayed to the speakers. I have digital speakers, which don't understand analog signals. The Windows driver automatically switches the analog signal to digital. That is why I was able to get sound from my card/speakers under 98, but not under Debian.

Resolution:
I had to get and install the "emu-tools" package which I downloaded from http://opensource.creative.com . I then ran the command "emu-config -d" which sets the output to digital mode and sound came roaring from my speakers.

Closing:
Unfortunately this only lasts while the machine is "up". After a reboot, you need to run "emu-config -d" again. I haven't figured out how to set this to run at boot-time just yet.

Hopefully this will help the next guy/girl who faces this problem. Thanks again to all those who helped me.

Bill Wissman