LeRoy Cressy on Wed, 1 May 2002 11:51:15 -0400

Re: [PLUG] Re: Newbie's First Question - followup to those pesky bookmarks

"George Langford, Sc.D." wrote:

> Hello fellow PLUGgers !
>
> Netscape 4.78 keeps telling me it's made an "error saving bookmarks
> file."
>
> I've tracked down two places where Netscape saves this file:
>
>         /usr/lib/netscape/bookmark.htm
> and
>         /home/user0/bookmark.htm

The /usr/lib/netscape/bookmark.htm is just an info file, the
~/.netscape/bookmarks.html should be the place in your home directory
where the default install of netscape stores the bookmarks file, unless
the distribution you
are using has changed the defaults.

I did the following on the netscape binary which has the placement of
the bookmerk file hard coaded into executable.

strings netscape | grep bookmarks | less

localDefPref("browser.bookmark_file", "~/.netscape/bookmarks.html");

> I can force a save to the latter, but adding bookmarks to the
> Netscape default (?) bookmarks file (the former) does not get
> them saved - always lost upon restarting Netscape.  Once I've
> forced the save with "save bookmark file", I can get it back,
> but I have to open that version of the bookmark.htm file with
> Netscape's "open file" menu entry.
>
> A Google search on "error saving bookmarks file" reveals that
> the problem is spread across many platforms.  But the solution
> is nowhere to be found.
>
> This is a minor problem right now; I'm mentioning it while waiting
> for my Linux PC vendor to get in touch so I can ask what's up with
> the CD-R/W drive.
>
> Best regards,
> George
> amenex@amenex.com