epike on Thu, 2 May 2002 10:48:58 -0400

Re: [PLUG] Re: Newbie's first question - chose to install HD temporarily

> past in a semi-successful attempt to run multiple OS's].  Those 0 0's
> at the end of each line of fstab are the most worrisome ...

dump - is a flag indicating if the partition is "dumpable", there
       is a "dump" command for backing up, or "dumping" filesystems
       to a backup device (correct me if i'm wrong on this ppl!).
       Things you shouldn't mark as dumpable are floppy devices,
       tape devices, cdroms, network devices (nfs and samba) and
       swap partitions.
       In your case, you can safely put 0 in there for MSDOS
       partitions.

the last flag "check" indicates ordering for fsck check at boot up.
       things that doesnt make sense to fsck on schedule are:
       floppy devices, tape devices, cdroms, network devices (nfs
       and samba).

in your case it should be safe to put 0 0 in there.  In fact
the other poster's suggestion to not put it in fstab and just
mount them manually makes more sense, since you're going to
use the paritions once anyway.

your question to "not alter the visiting disk" -- mount them read-only!

epike / JondZ