Bradley J. Molnar on Thu, 2 May 2002 18:30:20 +0200

Re: [PLUG] More Samba WINS information...

With win98/95 this would be ok, but, if you have any 2K/XP machines, the announce version should be set to less than 5.0 (I believe that 4.5 is the default for samba 2.2). If you set it to 5.0 or higher, win2K/XP assume that it knows the lanman3 protocal. Samba does not know it yet (and can only use lanman1 and lanman2). Lanman3 is the whole active directory stuff that is such a pain to set up samba with (at least I have found it to be).

Long story short, don't use this option with win2k machine, with win 98 it is fine.

-brad

Kam Salisbury wrote:

Just in case you did not have enough Samba information, here is some more
that concerns the Network Neighborhood doesn't work issue.

Though <a href="http://us6.samba.org/samba/docs/";>the actual
documentation</a> is the defacto resource, I found the short answer to what
I needed to add to Samba'a smb.conf file for WINS support in a small LAN
environment. These changes effectively fix the Network neighborhood does
not see the Linux box problem. (Ref: Samba UNIX & NT Internetworking, James
Deroest, McGraw Hill, ISBN 0-07-135104-3;

Add the following to your smb.conf, be sure to reference Samba's
documentation for configuration item specifics. (See BROWSING.txt and
BROWSING-Config.txt which should be located in .../samba-
version/docs/textdocs)

wins support = true
dns proxy = true
workgroup = YOURGRPNAME
netbios name = COMPUTERNAME
announce as = NT
announce version = 5.2
domain master = yes
local master = yes
preferred master = yes
os level = 65

*The above entries assume you want the WINS support of Samba to do all it
can. If you are integrating Samba with NT or 2000 machines, you really need
to read the documentation to understand what to change for the desired
effect.

Have a great day,

Kam.