Jon Nelson on Mon, 6 May 2002 09:09:54 -0400

Re: [PLUG] More Samba WINS information...

hmmm...On my network I have win98, 2k, and ME and I can see them all and they
can see me with just the "wins support = Yes" line.

On 03/05/02 02:18 +1000, Bradley J. Molnar wrote:
> With win98/95 this would be ok, but, if you have any 2K/XP machines, the
> announce version should be set to less than 5.0 (I believe that 4.5 is
> the default for samba 2.2).  If you set it to 5.0 or higher, win2K/XP
> assume that it knows the lanman3 protocal.  Samba does not know it yet
> (and can only use lanman1 and lanman2).  Lanman3 is the whole active
> directory stuff that is such a pain to set up samba with (at least I
> have found it to be).
>
> Long story short, don't use this option with win2k machine, with win 98
> it is fine.
>
> -brad
>
> Kam Salisbury wrote:
>
> >Just in case you did not have enough Samba information, here is some more
> >that concerns the Network Neighborhood doesn't work issue.
> >
> >Though <a href="http://us6.samba.org/samba/docs/";>the actual
> >documentation</a> is the defacto resource, I found the short answer to what
> >I needed to add to Samba'a smb.conf file for WINS support in a small LAN
> >environment. These changes effectively fix the Network neighborhood does
> >not see the Linux box problem. (Ref: Samba UNIX & NT Internetworking, James
> >Deroest, McGraw Hill, ISBN 0-07-135104-3;
> >
> >Add the following to your smb.conf, be sure to reference Samba's
> >documentation for configuration item specifics. (See BROWSING.txt and
> >BROWSING-Config.txt which should be located in .../samba-
> >version/docs/textdocs)
> >
> >wins support = true
> >dns proxy = true
> >workgroup = YOURGRPNAME
> >netbios name = COMPUTERNAME
> >announce as = NT
> >announce version = 5.2
> >domain master = yes
> >local master = yes
> >preferred master = yes
> >os level = 65
> >
> >*The above entries assume you want the WINS support of Samba to do all it
> >can. If you are integrating Samba with NT or 2000 machines, you really need
> >to read the documentation to understand what to change for the desired
> >effect.
> >
> >Have a great day,
> >
> >Kam.

Trooper Jon S. NELSON, Linux Certified Admin. (Sair/GNU)
Pennsylvania State Police, Computer Crimes Unit
Office:  610-344-4471
Page:  866-284-1603 (Toll Free)