Bill Jonas on Fri, 3 May 2002 06:00:11 +0200

Re: [PLUG] Comcast Internet Access

On Thu, May 02, 2002 at 11:29:48PM -0400, John Karr wrote:
> I just got Comcast High speed and they gave me a username and password.
> Although they say it is just DHCP neither dhclient nor dhcpcd manpages tell
> how to send the password. dhcpcd -h myaccount@comcast.net does not seem to
> do the trick.

No need, it's just straight-up DHCP.

bj@morpheus:~$ grep -v -e ^# -e ^$ /etc/dhclient.conf
request subnet-mask, broadcast-address, time-offset, routers,
        domain-name, host-name;
require subnet-mask;
supersede domain-name-servers 127.0.0.1;
append domain-name " billjonas.com";
timeout 60;

There was lots of commented-out stuff that came with the file, which is
why that grep is there.  Also, I'm doing some stuff like running my own
DNS server for my internal LAN, so there's other stuff in there you
don't need.  It works just fine with an empty dhclient.conf.  (I'm using
the Debian dhcp-client package, which is the ISC's "dhclient" DHCP
client program.)

I reload my firewall rules if my IP address changes:

bj@morpheus:~$ cat /etc/dhclient-exit-hooks
if [ -n "`ifconfig eth1 | grep UP`" ]; then
  if [ x$old_ip_address != x$new_ip_address ]; then
    /etc/init.d/firewall restart
    exit $?
  fi
fi

Just run dhclient, pump, or whatever.  The defaults should work just
fine.

"They that can give up  essential  liberty to obtain a little temporary
safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."        -- Benjamin Franklin