gabriel rosenkoetter on Wed, 8 May 2002 08:20:21 +0200

Re: [PLUG] sed help

On Tue, May 07, 2002 at 09:59:49AM -0400, Samantha wrote:
> I tried to map the Alt Key to a Meta Key using xmodmap:
> xmodmap -e "keysym Alt_L = Meta_L Alt_L"

Why? XF86 should do this for you.

Oh, wait, maybe that's just a default in my world. In your
XF86Config's Keyboard section, you want:

    LeftAlt     Meta
    RightAlt    ModeShift

... or whatever you think's appropriate.

(Check the relevant man pages, of course.)

You'll need to restart X after doing so.

> So I held down the left Alt key so I could type "high_ASCII" and when I
> hit keys, nothing appears.Why?

What are your environment settings for LANG and LC_CTYPE? This
should only affect display, not your ability to type the keys. I've
got a feeling your xmodmap changes were either unnecessary or
ineffective.

--
gabriel rosenkoetter
gr@eclipsed.net