gabriel rosenkoetter on Wed, 8 May 2002 09:00:14 +0200

Re: [PLUG] math help for this graphing program I'm writing to graph the keyring ?

On Wed, May 08, 2002 at 02:39:42AM -0400, Darxus@chaosreigns.com wrote:
> That sounds like a wonderful idea.  And I can convert from .fig to .ps, and
> maintain the wonderful non-finite resolution of vector graphics.

Hrm. If you're going to Postscript anyway, why not just write one of
those out? Its graphics format isn't substantially more difficult.

You might not get the arrowheads as free as you get them with FIG,
though.

Also, you might see how hard LaTeX's PSTrix stuff is to deal with.
(It should do the arrowheads and splines pretty much for free too.)

> Any suggestions on how to learn to write .fig ?  I don't see a useful perl
> module.

http://duke.usask.ca/~macphed/soft/fig/FORMAT3.2.txt seems to be the
current FIG format. Doesn't look like worlds of fun, though it does
seem to be rather straight-forward.

If there's no Perl module, then clearly someone should write one. ;^>

Incidentally (and since you commented nobody else seemed to care
about it on IRC), POV output would, IMHO, rock.

--
gabriel rosenkoetter
gr@eclipsed.net