George Langford on Wed, 8 May 2002 16:50:21 +0200

[PLUG] Re: Netscape bookmarks

Hello Greg & fellow PLUGgers !

Regarding those pesky Netscape bookmarks files ...

>> OK - I found a bookmark.htm file from my W98 system (sucessfully
>> transferred into the Linux PC by cutting and pasting the physical
>> hard drive into the Linux PC as previously described) and copied
>> it into /home/user0/.netscape/bookmark.htm after renaming the
>> previous one oldbookmarks.htm in the same directory.  Note that
>> the old one had an "s" in the name, whereas my imported one does
>> not.

> But the differences shouldn't stop there.  The W98 file conforms
> to the restrictions of 8.3 filenames : bookmark.htm  Everywhere
> else, it is bookmarks.html - Leave windows, get an 's', get an 'l'

OK; I tried that.  No effect at all.  I can open the bookmark?.*
files as HTML documents with Netscape Navigator (or even with
Konqueror) but not from the Bookmarks menu.  Never.

>> No matter what I call any of these "user grade" bookmarks files,
>> when I go to the existing "bookmarks" menu item in Netscape
>> Navigator to select "Edit Bookmarks," the informational
>> (read, "Netscape promotional") bookmarks file opens.  Nothing
>> that I attempt to add to that file gets saved;

> Confirm that for me : You delete all the promotional bookmarks, ...

... Haven't found 'em yet with Konqueror.  I renamed all
bookmarks.html files that I could find:

	/root/.netscape/[old]bookmarks.html - no effect
	/usr/src/[...]bookmarks.html - wouldn't allow me

There are others (some 19 in all) in directories for other
applications, such as Mozilla ... but I'm ignoring those.

and I placed my own bookmarks, called "bookmarks.html" in

	/home/user0/bookmarks.html
	/home/user0/.netscape/bookmarks.html

where I can browse 'em as HTML but not open 'em from the
Bookmarks menus (two places, one under the Communicator menu
item and the other on the Navigator toolbar).

I tried deleting all the items under the promotional bookmarks
that will come up, leaving that file essentially but not
completely blank, and they disappear until the next time I
open Navigator.  Sounds like they're hardwired in ROM ...

> ... quit netscape, start netscape and its those same promo
> bookmarks again?

Yessiree.  They won't go away, and nothing I add to 'em
gets saved.  And I can't open any bookmarks.html file
with the Open Bookmarks File menu item in the Edit Bookmarks
menu.

> very curious

Is it time to download a new version of Netscape ?

Best regards,
George Langford in sunny Berwyn
amenex@amenex.com
http://www.amenex.com/