Greg Lopp on Wed, 8 May 2002 17:30:29 +0200

Re: [PLUG] Re: Netscape bookmarks

On Wed, May 08, 2002 at 10:49:55AM -0400, George Langford wrote:
> Hello Greg & fellow PLUGgers !
>
> Regarding those pesky Netscape bookmarks files ...
>
> >> OK - I found a bookmark.htm file from my W98 system (sucessfully
> >> transferred into the Linux PC by cutting and pasting the physical
> >> hard drive into the Linux PC as previously described) and copied
> >> it into /home/user0/.netscape/bookmark.htm after renaming the
> >> previous one oldbookmarks.htm in the same directory.  Note that
> >> the old one had an "s" in the name, whereas my imported one does
> >> not.
>
> > But the differences shouldn't stop there.  The W98 file conforms
> > to the restrictions of 8.3 filenames : bookmark.htm  Everywhere
> > else, it is bookmarks.html - Leave windows, get an 's', get an 'l'
>
> OK; I tried that.  No effect at all.  I can open the bookmark?.*
> files as HTML documents with Netscape Navigator (or even with
> Konqueror) but not from the Bookmarks menu.  Never.
>
> >> No matter what I call any of these "user grade" bookmarks files,
> >> when I go to the existing "bookmarks" menu item in Netscape
> >> Navigator to select "Edit Bookmarks," the informational
> >> (read, "Netscape promotional") bookmarks file opens.  Nothing
> >> that I attempt to add to that file gets saved;
>
> > Confirm that for me : You delete all the promotional bookmarks, ...
>
> ... Haven't found 'em yet with Konqueror.  I renamed all
> bookmarks.html files that I could find:

Ok. That's not quite what I meant, but it'll do.  I was thinking
of deleting the bookmarks in Navigator's bookmark editor,
basically to see if Navigator would permanently change the
appropriate file, whatever the filename might actually be.  Maybe
you've explained that that doesn't work in some previous post -
Ah, you confirmed it below.

> and I placed my own bookmarks, called "bookmarks.html" in
>
> 	/home/user0/bookmarks.html
> 	/home/user0/.netscape/bookmarks.html

The second one _should_ be the one it grabs, but obviously its
not.  Let me just confirm some assumptions :
1) You are logged in and running netscape as "user0"
2) Netscape is not running when you copy your bookmarks to
/home/user0/.netscape/bookmarks.html
3) In /home/user0/.netscape, there is a file called
"preferences.js" or "prefs.js" (I forget which is appropriate in
Navigator 4.72). This file features a line like this :
user_pref("browser.bookmark_file", "/home/user0/.netscape/bookmarks.html");

That's going to tell us where netscape is trying to read its
bookmarks from at startup.  It's possible that your distribution
or navigator package has a different default.  Everything you've
described could be caused by the "browser.bookmark_file" pointing
to some file that you don't have write access to : you read it
into memory when netscape starts, edit it in memory, but don't
have the priveledges to write your changes to disk when closing
netscape; therefore the file is unchanged the next time you start
it.

There is a place under the preferences to change that, or just
edit preferences.js while Navigator is closed.

> > very curious
>
> Is it time to download a new version of Netscape ?

Or mozilla?  Or, even better, galeon?
I think you should figure out and fix this problem before moving
along. (but I'm weird that way) (and that's easy for me to say
when it isn't my PC)

> Best regards,
> George Langford in sunny Berwyn
Greg Lopp in rainy Cincinnati